Monday, October 17, 2011

10/15/11 - 10/16/11 Weekend on Clear Creek

I had a hall pass for the weekend to get out a fish! I wasn't going to waste the chance so I decided to hit up Clear Creek again. The browns are running strong now and stacked up in every pool from the inlet, all the way upstream. They are especially stacked along the sandbar at the inlet as well, looking for their opportunity to make it upstream to spawn.

I know I've been fishing Clear Creek in Georgetown a lot recently, but with how good the fishing is, why not? I do like exploring new waters and fishing in different places, but considering the relatively short drive, I'd rather be catching than fishing. So, I think I'll continue to fish here until the spawning run ends and I start visiting my winter haunts. (Arkansas below Pueblo, Blue River) Also, since we have a newborn in the house, it's hard to find time to schedule trips to places further away so I think sticking to what's working makes my fishing trips worthwhile!



The browns were again, very eager to eat. You can see in the picture below the fly that this one took. A hare's ear, size 16. This was the favorite of the brownie's, I ended up going through 3 of them on Saturday since they were getting so beat up.



Copper john's were also a consistent producer. I think size is more important than color. They seem to like the copper colors a lot, but I even caught quite a few on green and reds as well. Another gentleman that was fishing there was also using a blue body prince nymph that was also producing for him, but again, I think it's more the size rather than color or variety. Just about any nymph will work, but stick to a size 16 or 18.



The bows were also hitting, but not as much as the brownies were. The lake was stocked 2 weeks ago, and there are still plenty of stocker bows around munching on eggs and the occasional nymph. But they really haven't made their way upstream. If you are looking for stocker bows, fish the sandbar and bridge hole.





Brookies are also in there, I lost a huge one trying to land it, but I managed another a few casts later...no where near the size of the other, but it was cool getting a Clear Creek Grand Slam again.



Egg patterns are still the to go to and it's the lead fly in my rig. To be honest, all different colors are working, pink, orange, cerise, and yellow. One of the female brownies decided to let loose with some eggs on me and when I saw their color, I switched to a yellow egg that also produced.



Although I like using a an egg pattern like otter eggs, regular egg patterns are also producing. Vary the size and color a bit until you find what they are keying in on. It does change quite a bit, and there are periods where they will ignore eggs completely, but change it up and you will start catching fish again.

This weekend was the busiest that I've seen it. People are everywhere so please use a bit if etiquette when fishing; I had a lady cross my line 3 times as she saw that I was catching fish in my hole when she could have cast upstream to fish a great hole just in front if her! I was polite as I untangled or lines, and I think she was new to fishing so a little compassion was warranted, but if you see someone fishing a hole or run, give them some space; or ask if you can fish above or below them. There isn't much room to fish, but there are plenty of runs and holes that the fish are stacked up in. Just be polite, say hello and talk to your fellow fishermen, and don't just fish the same hole that someone else is fishing. Not only is it rude, but it's a hassle untangling lines. There's lots of fish in there! Just find your spot!





No comments:

Post a Comment