Tuesday, January 31, 2012

01/30/12 Blue River in Silverthorne

01/30/12
Blue River in Silverthorne
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM

A friend of mine who was skiing in Breckenridge called to see how the Blue was fishing...

I told her it was fishing well, super pressured, but you can find the fish. I told her that I was heading to Breck that night for a meeting and I would meet her on the water and show her around.

I got up there around 2:00 and got my gear on and saw lots of people on the water. 5 guys were trying to fish cable hole and a few other fisherman were moving up and down the river. I dropped in and found my friend tying on some flies. She mentioned that she caught a minnow and was broken off by a big fish. I congratulated her on at least hooking up! Half the battle is finding the fish and getting them to eat!

While she was re-rigging, I cast into a run above cable hole and managed to hook into a nice fish right away. She was super excited to see me catch a fish after a quick picture, we both kept moving upstream, making our way to rodeo hole.



She picked up another dink and hooked up with another bigger fish, but was broken off again...
As we made our way, we talked to a fisherman moving downstream who said that he didn't see a single fish in rodeo hole...not a good sign, we continued to fish our way up and another fisherman coming down said the same thing. We decided to not make the hike all the way, even though it was really just around the bend, it wasn't worth fishing if you couldn't even see a fish in there...

So we made our way back to cable hole, and were surprised to see that everybody but one person had left. We moved downstream of him and started fishing along the trees with a few more hook ups, but none to the net. As the last fisherman was leaving, he said, "Try my spot...I can't seem to catch anything here even though I can see the damn fish!"

And try it we did. We ended up catching another 2 fish with another 2 minnows. (For some reason that place is loaded with fingerlings!)



A quick two hour trip and plenty of fish to the net made my afternoon!

Hot flies were mysis. Stalcups and Craven's were the ticket. Avoid the epoxy and clear style of mysis right now. There isn't a lot of mysis flowing through the dam, and the ones getting through are dead and white. When the flows go up in the spring, the fish will start keying in on the live looking mysis again. Also, a top secret midges brought a fish the net, as well as a tungsten bead head zebra midge.

Considering all the people out on the river, I was expecting a skunk, but I'm happy to report that it was a great quick trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment