Monday, June 11, 2012

06/08/12 Blue River in Silverthorne

06/08/12
Blue River in Silverthorne
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Flows:  75

A quick trip up to the mountains for some work and play!  My 1st stop was the Blue in Silverthorne, and it was a zoo!

I had planned on getting up there much earlier, but ended up getting on the water at 10:00.  There were already 5 cars in the little pull out at cable hole and 3 guys were already fishing.  I walked to the tail end of the cable hole and promptly proceeded to pick up a few nice fish!


Same old brooders, but they are starting to wise up a little to flies and presentations.  A fly that usually does very well here netted zero (zebra midge) and most fish are taking smaller and more "natural" looking flies.  Basic black midge larvae, cream midges, and emergers were consistently taking fish.



I even had quite a few take a size 20 stalcup's mysis and a size 18 craven's mysis.

I always run a 3 fly rig through here with a mayfly pattern, a midge, and then a mysis.

As cable hole got more and more crowded, I decided to head down river and explore a bit. 

My next stop was I-70 hole and you could easily see a few brooders hanging out in the tail out.

I pulled 2 fish out of here and kept moving downstream...

The hole just below wildernest rd. also had a few stacked in it as well and even a few were feeding in the riffles.



After working the riffles and catching 3 dinks, I moved down to the foot bridge and the 7-11 hole.  There were 3 guys down by 7-11 hole and another 2 above so I settled in below the footbridge. 

With a large crowd of people watching, I managed to hook into a nice fish and was playing it well, until it took a turn a jumped the waterfall and then spit the hook...a collective "awwww" from the crowd was my consolation prize!

Another great day on the Blue...the fishing might seem like it has slowed down, but the fish are just getting a little smarter and the fishing pressure is up.  I didn't see another person between cable hole and the footbridge so walk a little and find some solitude.  The brooders are all over this stretch and you won't need to fish shoulder to shoulder with some.

Hot flies for the day were mysis and midges.  Dorsey's Top Secret in a size 20, and a black thread midge with midge tubing were two flies that I didn't change and were consistently catching fish.  Use a 5x leader, and drop 6x after your 1st fly.  I still run fluro, but I don't think it's necessary...but with the low flows and clear water, fluro might help you catch a few more fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment