Friday, June 22, 2012

06/21/12 Blue River North of Silverthorne

06/21/12
Blue River North of Silverthorne
12:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Flows 53

I had work obligations in the mountains so of course I brought along my rod to fish the Blue in town.  A buddy called and asked what I was up to and I told him to meet me at cable hole and we could catch some fish and call it a day.

The fishing in town has been good, but not great.  Lots of pressure and lots of fisherman all over the river.  Fish are getting smart and are staying out of feeding lanes for most of the day avoiding any fly that drifts by...

It doesn't mean you won't catch any fish...it's just much more technical now...
Here's one from cable hole...


And the fly it took...an orange larvae in size 18


The fly actually looked more red at the shop, but in the sun it looked way more orange.

Shortly after catching this fish, my buddy showed up and hollered that we need to get out of town!  He had found a spot north of town where the fishing was insane...

I was skeptical, but I hustled up the hill and we drove a little ways north of town.

I switched up my flies to a 20 incher, a tung teaser, and a prince nymph since I heard reports that the stoneflies were starting to come up.

All 3 flies produced lots and lots of fish!!!  This spot was on fire and fish were even rising.

My buddy caught his personal best with a 24 in, taken on a dry.


Of course there were smaller fish...a few brownies even...



Here's a long skinny guy...


But the majority of fish were bruisers that were +20 in!



What an incredible day!  We had lots of fish to the net, and quite a few that were able to break us off.  This spot was definitely a wonderful place that not a lot of fisherman know about unless they're exploring the Blue north of town.  Today definitely taught me a lesson to sometimes take a risk and try to fish a new place instead of going to the old stand by.  Especially with how the fishing is declining in town, this spot was a great escape from the crowds and lock jawed fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment