Monday, September 10, 2012

09/02/12 Arkansas River Below Pueblo

09/02/12
Arkansas Below Pueblo
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Flows 106

After sleeping in a bit, it was time to hit the road and head back to Parker.  But I couldn't leave without fishing in Pueblo!  It would be crazy not to fish before I left town!

So back to Valco for a quick trip.  I a was out of my regular flies for this stretch having lost or mangled them from the last 2 days of fishing.  I thought I'd try a change since the fishing has slowed down a bit over the weekend from all the pressure.

I rigged up standard "winter" midge set up with a juju baetis, zebra midge, and a blue poison tung.

There was already 2 guys fishing below the 3 rocks so I moved up to the faster waters and the tailout.  I was pleasantly surprised to pick up a fish on my second cast!


Another 2 casts later and another rainbow!  The fish were really liking the midges and the 2 guys below me came up to talk to me after I picked up another.  They had been fishing san juan worms.  I suggested a prince and a midge combo.  They thanked me and moved on upstream while I managed to catch another beautiful cutbow.



After 7 fish in an hour's time, I decided it was time to head home!  I guess it was fortuitous that I was out some of my "standard" flies since the midge fishing was hot!  I'll have to remember to try midges when the fishing slows down late in the summer.  Size 18-22 on 6x fluro seemed to be the ticket.  The overcast skies also probably helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment