Wednesday, March 7, 2012

03/04/12 S. Platte Dream Stream

03/04/12
Dream Stream
7:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Flows at 107 from 53

With the jump in flows, I thought it would be a great time to hit the Dream Stream. I was coming back from the mountains so a quick jaunt through Fairplay and Hartsel led me to the Dream Stream.

Flows have been at the seasonal low around 50 and the bump on Saturday, there was a good chance that some big fish were going to be making their way up from Eleven Mile.

Unfortunately, I hit it a little too early. There certainly were a lot of fish around, but nothing of size.

Since I didn't have much time, I decided to stick to the lower section thinking that I would find some big fish downstream closer to the inlet of Eleven Mile. I was the second car in the lot at 7:00 am so I thought I would get into some fish quickly at the gauging station.



I certainly did get into some fish but nothing of size...lots and lots of 10-12 inchers.





After catching a ton of these little guys, I decided to move downstream and see if I could sight fish before the parking lot filled up.

I worked my way downstream and picked up a fish or two in the usual spots. Fence hole, bend hole, and the long run just before the outlet to Eleven Mile. Lots of "regular" fish and no big lake run or even the bigger resident fish were present just yet. I suspect that some of the bigger fish moved upstream with the bump in flows.

Fish weren't too picky, I was running a 3 fly rig, bead egg, dark prince, and a rojo midge and I took fish on all 3. I also used some zebra midges, regular prince nymphs and a nuke egg and those were all taking fish as well.

The wind wasn't too bad. There were a few gusts that blew through, but overall not a bad day in South Park.

The crowds did show up bright and early. There were 5 cars in the lot by 8:00 and when I left at noon, the lot was full. Lots of people on the water but everybody was relatively respectful of your space and the run you were fishing. It was funny to see people come running and trying to fish around you when you did catch a fish, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it could be.

I did snap a pic of this guy fishing from the bridge...I should have said something and told him that there's plenty of good spots, but I'm not one to interject my opinion... Besides, he seemed to enjoy not catching any fish.



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment