Tuesday, March 27, 2012

03/23/12 Dream Stream

03/23/12
Dream Stream
7:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Flows:  97

I had the opportunity to head out for a quick morning of fishing and made the decision to head over the Dream Stream again...

I got to the Charlie Meyer SWA parking lot at 7:00 and saw that I was the 2nd car in the lot!  I figured I had plenty of time to fish my way down to the inlet since the water looked great.

I picked up quite a few fish as I moved downstream.
























A nice little brownie...

Nothing too big...just a lot of little stocker sized fish, but they were readily taking flies and not at all shy.

I kept looking back to see if more cars were in the lot as I made my way downstream...

As cars started to fill the lot, I quickened my pace to get down to the inlet, but I was surprised to see there were already quite a few people staking out their spots on the river!  Apparently a lot of folks are parking on the side of the road closer to the inlet and just walking in from there!

I wish I knew that!  As I walked around, I did see lots of big fish that had made their way up from 11 mile.  Also, lots of redds were visible, but most of the fish were hiding in deeper water. 

I continued to fish my way back upstream since quite a few of the guys looked pretty intent on camping out.  As I fished my way back, I did see quite a few more big fish and with the sun higher in the sky, it was easy to spot them.

I made quite a few casts to some of the bigger fish, only to have the smaller fish pick up my flies before it could get to the big guys.




































I did hook up twice with some bigger fish, only to have them break me off.  I stupidly was wrestling them in on 6x tippet.  But that's the price you pay for fishing with such fine tippet and getting too excited to land a big boy!

So I eventually made my way back towards the gauging station...I missed my chances with some of the big guys and they won't give you a second chance.

As I was leaving, I looked over the bridge and noticed a pod of fish above the bridge...I decided to give them a couple casts to see if I could entice any of them.













I ended with a nice bow and a mutant brownie!












The brownie was super humped back with a fat belly.  Maybe it had been gorging on eggs, but it sure did look funny.

I ended up leaving at 1:00 since I had to meet my brother at the airport, he was coming in to ski for the weekend...little did I know that skiing was going to be so bad that he would end up fishing with me instead!

Flies for the day were bead eggs, micro tungsten san juan worms, and flashback WD40's.  Bead eggs in pink and orange were the hot flies all day long.  The best part of the day was the fact that there was no wind!  A Dream Stream day with no wind and a few fish is a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment