Wednesday, April 11, 2012

04/08/12 Arkansas Below Pueblo

04/08/12
Arkansas Below Pueblo
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Flows 182

Easter Sunday!  Lots of candy was eaten and lots of pictures were taken of the kiddos in their Easter Sunday dresses.

I was able to slip away and get some fishing in before we had to head for home.

I headed over to Valco and was welcomed by a full parking lot!  With th beautiful weather, I was expecting people, but luckily I was able to fish the 3 rocks with only people down stream trying to fish the riffles.  I quickly managed a fish on a red san juan and another on a two bit hooker.  Nothing too big, there were lots of big fish slapping the surface and crashing on emergers.

Lots more fish in the 12-14 in range than I was expecting...but I did manage to hook into quite a few bigger guys.  Lucky for them, I was practicing long distance releases!  Quite a few of the big guys took a size 20 sparkle wing rs2...and they all managed to spit the hook before I could land them.  I guess that's what happens when there's a crowd looking on! 

After an hour at Valco, I decided to see if the fishing was better at the spillway.  Lots of bait dunkers here pounding the water right at the spillway so I focused on the riffles and below the bridge.  Again, lots of stocker sized fish, but I can't complain when the fishing is good!


Not a bad way to end my Easter weekend.  Fish were taking the usual fare of san juans, two bit hookers, and rs2's.  If you need to get a fix, head down to Pueblo sooner than later!  The flows will be jumping up again making it much more difficult to fish. 

I don't anticipate fishing the Ark in town again until the fall.  For any other trips down south, I'll head up towards Canon City and fish the Ark up there...the Mother's Day Hatch should be early this year with the low snowpack and warmer temps...

No comments:

Post a Comment