Thursday, May 24, 2012

02/21/12 Eagle River

02/12/21
Eagle River near Avon
2:00 - 4:00 PM
Flows 77

After spending a week on the road, I had another 3 days scheduled for work in the mountains.  Having an itch to fish with rivers so close drew me out for a quick 2 hours of fishing on the Eagle.

Flows are low compared to last year, and run off is almost non-existent.  Water clarity is good, only getting a little brown in the afternoons, but still plenty clear fish, and the lower flows make it super easy to wade.

1st fish of the day

Followed by a few of these...

And a few of these...

Overall, the fishing was great!  I ended up with 10 fish in about 2 hours of fishing.  Nothing of size besides the 1st brownie that I caught, but I can't complain!  It's great to wet a line and catch some fish while taking a break from work!

Hot flies for the day were 20 inchers, rubber leg copper johns, and soft hackle hare's ears.  The obvious trend is stoneflies!

Although there isn't a full blown hatch, fish are keying in on larger flies and darker stones are on the menu.  I didn't really try any other flies, but I've heard that caddis and bwo's are still on the menu.  With the limited amount of time to fish, I wasn't planning on spending too much time experimenting with different flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment