Thursday, May 24, 2012

05/22/12 Frying Pan

05/22/12
Frying Pan River
7:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Flows 111

With a day of in between work days in the mountains was the reason why I made the drive up to the Pan!  Normally I wouldn't fish the Pan in the Spring/Summer because of the crowds but I figured I'd give it a try.  I knew the fishing was going to be consistent at the toilet bowl and I thought if I got up there early, I would be able to fish the bowl and then spend some time on the flats and bend hole.

So I got up early and hit the road.  I got to the Pan around 7:00 and was dismayed to see a car already in the lot.  I made my way down to the bowl thinking that if it was packed, I would work the flats and the bend hole...but it was just 1 guy!

I got to talking and Bill from Frisco didn't mind having some company.  He had arrived at 5:30 and already had a good morning.

Second cast...

The rainbows are back!  Spawning is over and lots of the big bows are back in the bowl.  Lots of browns still there of course, but lots of bows that are willing to take mysis, bwo's, and midges!



Quite a few browns were on the prowl too...


While more people that fish the bowl, tie on a bunch of weight, I went with a different tactic to fish for the big guys that were feeding just sub surface and mid current.  No weight!  It was actually pretty fun to watch these fish open their mouths to inhale my flies and even see a few chase and refuse flies.

Next time you're up there...give that a shot.  Not only did it help improve my catch rate, I reduced my snag rate significantly!

Hot flies were stalcup's mysis, craven's mysis, soft hackle hare's ear, flashback rs2 in black and grey and various other midge patterns in black and grey.

Crowds were relatively light in the morning, but by noon, there were 15 cars in the lot and at least 2 cars in every pull out along the way.  The crowds also prevented me from fishing the bend hole...I should have gotten a picture of the 6 guys almost shoulder to shoulder fishing that run...

So if you want some great fishing, get out to the Pan, but get there early!

No comments:

Post a Comment