Tuesday, May 8, 2012

05/06/12 Blue River in Silverthorne

05/06/12
Blue River in Silverthorne
3:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Flows 53
Temps in the low 40's with rain turning into snow

Work is really getting in the way of my fishing!

I can't really complain, my job is a good one with certain times of heavy travel that can be fun...but let's get to the fishing!

The Blue has been fishing very well since the DOW has stocked it, but the fishing is starting to get a little more technical.  Even from the last time I was up, I'm seeing more and more people not catching and I'm noticing that when I'm lazy with a cast, I'm not catching fish either.

These guys have definitely gotten smarter and without a good drift, you won't be catching fish.  A variety of flies will still work, but stick to 5x or 6x fluro tippet and size 16-22 flies.  Midges, mayflies, and mysis are the ticket here and even a mid day midge hatch happens when the sun is up.  Unfortunately, this wasn't the case for today.

I took the family up to the private stretch of the Blue below Green Mountain and we did some fishing and grilling.  This was the 1st time we took Kaycee out to the river and she had a ball.  She even fell asleep in her backpack while we fished for a little and wasn't fussy at all.  She really enjoys being out and taking everything in.  Temps in the morning were mid 60's and slightly overcast skies.  By the time we were done with lunch, the clouds were rolling in...

My wife dropped me off behind the outlets so that she could do a little shopping, and I could get more fishing in!


Lots of beautiful fish and even with the rain that was changing to snow, there were still at least 5 anglers that I could see working their way up and down the river.



Temps dropped fast and the rain continued...but the fishing was still go.  Zebra midges, UV emergers, Top Secret Midges were all readily taken, but only on a good drift.

Again, this river is just getting pounded by anglers so land your fish fast, snap that picture and get them back in the water.  Lots of fish that I caught also had additional "jewelery".  Please don't try to snag the fish...lots of fish with 3 fly rigs in their backs or on their bellies...These fish will eat...just don't try to use 3x tippet and huge flies.

Another great day on the river!  If you are headed to the Blue, the fishing is still good...don't get discouraged when the fishing slows...take time to consider what is going on and change up your flies, add or take away a little weight, and get a good drift and you'll start catching fish again!

Good luck out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment