Monday, July 2, 2012

06/28/12 Blue River in Silverthorne

06/28/12
Blue River in Silverthorne
8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Another day with work in the mountains...I got up there early so I decided to get my fish on for a couple hours!

Even for a Thursday, the river was busy!  Lots of fisherman out, but at least they were moving up and down the river.  I suspect because the fishing has slowed somewhat and the spots like cable hole and rodeo hole have been pounded on for the last couple of months.

Still, with only 2 hours, I decided to start at cable hole and see how the fishing was.  I think the key here is to change up your offerings.  Most guys are fishing midges, but maybe changing to some small mayfly patterns and emergers might be the ticket.  I did see a couple fish slurping so I decided to try a foamback RS2.

At first, it was hard getting into the swing of things...I couldn't get my timing right and the fish weren't really actively feeding on the surface or subsurface.  But once I got a good drift in, I was able to hook up with some nice fish.


I managed another 2 on the foamback rs2 and even managed a few on a size 20 black mayfly and another on a mysis.


Overall, the fishing is good.  The fish are still there, but are very selective now.  Switch it up if you aren't having luck with the standard tailwater patterns.  Or fish early or later in the day. 

Is it still worth heading to the Blue in Silverthorne?  Not if you are making a special trip.  But if you are headed up there for work or are headed to another body of water, it's worth stopping to catch a few brooders.

No comments:

Post a Comment