Tuesday, July 24, 2012

07/22/12 Arkansas River Below Pueblo

07/22/12
Arkansas River Below Pueblo
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Flows 82

It's been a couple of weeks since I've had a chance to get out on the water!  And the warm weather isn't making it any easier on the fishing!  Usually I would make a trip up to the mountains, but since I had to meet the family down in the Springs for dinner, I figured a quick trip to Pueblo was in order.

Flows have been fluctuating from as low as 65 up to 450.  Recently, it's been very low and the high temps aren't making it easy on the fish.  Fish are holding in faster water and behind piles.  Some fish will move out into the slower water to feed but if you are nymphing, keep to the faster water and tailouts.

Besides the warmer temps and low flows...the fishing is insane!  Hatches were happening all day long with caddis, mayflies, and midges.

I started the day at the water treatment plant and got into lots of fish right away.  Hot flies for this stretch were a micro olive mayfly, brown z-wing caddis, and flashback pheasant tails.

Most were rainbows but I was pleasantly surprised to catch a few brownies as well!  Nothing huge, most around 12-16 in.





As the temps got higher, I decided to move closer to the dam in search of bigger fish and colder water!

I got to Valco and switched up my rig to all caddis flies.  An elk hair flash caddis up top, and a brown and green z-wing below. 



I was happy to get into some bigger fish!  But as you can see in the second picture, the tube hatch was in full effect...I had to wait a while for the water to rest before the fish starting rising again. 

After a couple kayakers came through I decided to move upstream and see if I could find some more fish...

I changed up my rig again; this time to a z-wing caddis, a cream midge, and a black tube midge.  I had TONS of midges and caddis all over my legs and shorts.  Definitely a hatch going on!  I even noticed a few trico spinners, but I didn't have any patterns that would match in my fly box.





I fished just past the gauging station into the faster water behind the rocks and managed quite a few more!  The most impressive of the day would have to be this brownie that I caught in front of the gauging station.  He took a size 20 black tube midge.


When 4:00 rolled around, I didn't want to leave!  The fishing had been hot all day long with fish taking dries and nymphs.

Hot flies were caddis dries, emergers, barr's emergers, z-wing caddis, micro mayflies, two bit hookers, pheasant tails, rs2's, and black or cream midges.

Fishing closer to the dam is definitely recommended, colder water and it seemed like the water temp was perfect for lots of bug activity. 

5 comments:

  1. Nice post! I see you're familiar with the stadium water. Nice little stretch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIDGEMAN! Glad to see you're back! (Long time lurker on your last 2 blogs!) The stadium stretch fishes better when the water is higher. I prefer Valco during the low water, but the Water Treatment Plant to stadium is my go to during the winter!

      Delete
    2. Always get a kick out of seeing the water down there. I grew up there and that old river bottom was our stomping grounds. In fact I learned to swim on what they now call the Valco stretch, but those were the days long before the dam.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrew,I contacted you a few months ago. I am a UK flyfisher,who will be in Durango on 7th August, driving up through Montrose to Grand Junction and hope to fish along the route, before taking I-70 towards Silverthorne and Rocky Mountain NP. I will be passing through your area to Vernal taking 2-3 days.
    As I am traveling light, due to the flight, I will not have waders with me, so am looking for some small stream, free stone river fishing. Size of fish is not important, but would appreciate your guidance on where is fishing and what flies to use in your area. I notice from your blog, that you use very small flies by English standards. I was catching wild browns on my local river using size 14 hares ear and klinkhammers yesterday. Are these 18-20 sizes available in tackle shops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken!

      You will have access to lots of water to fish on your trip! Right now, you can go bigger. Stoneflies, caddis, PMD's, and terrestrials are the norm. Get some golden stones, twenty inchers, barr's tung teasers, and locally tied stones up to a size 12 and you should be good to go. You can also drop smaller baetis and mayfly patterns below. Don't forget the standard princes, copper johns, hares ears, and pheasant tails.

      Also the dry fly action is very good! Hoppers, caddis, yellow sallies, and mayflies will entice fish up!

      Where are you planning to stop? I can give you a better idea of what is working.

      All the fly shops will carry what is working in their area. Feel free to email for more info!

      Delete